Micro ear surgery is a very sensitive surgery for you. In this article, You will get to know the pre and post-operative instructions for your ear surgery. Read The instructions carefully will help you to get the best possible results. You can take this information with you on the day of surgery so that you will start following these instructions from the first day.
Let’s dive in……..
Preparing For Your Ear Surgery
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), and others should be avoided. Avoid Vitamin E, herbal supplements, and medications containing these compounds, for two weeks before surgery. Use of Acetaminophen (Tylenol or generic equivalent) and a daily multivitamin is fine.
- Avoid smoking two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Nicotine and tobacco smoke can affect your health so this is the best time to leave these bad habits.
- Wear SPF 30 or higher to avoid sun damage. Our doctors wear an SPF 50 every day.
- Purchase the following non-prescription items:
- Vaseline ointment
- Soft Headband
- After midnight, the night before your surgery, do not eat or drink anything including water.
- You will not be permitted to drive or be alone so ask someone to take care of you from taking home to stay with you at least a day.
The Day of Surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything including water. Essential medication will be given by the doctors with a sip of water.
- Avoid slipover clothing. Wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Leave all your valuable things at home. Do not wear jewelry.
- Avoid makeup. Do not wear eye makeup, facial, and nail polish.
- Eyeglasses are allowed but don’t wear eyelashes
- To minimize swelling keep your head elevated. A recliner can help you or an extra pillow on your head will be adequate.
- You will get a large head dressing. You can wash your face but let your dressing dry. At the time of discharge, your doctor will give you the instruction for the removal and replacement of the dressing.
- When the dressing will be removed, apply bacitracin ointment to the incision lines 3 times daily for 2-3 days.
- You can shampoo your hair smoothly after the dressing is removed. Make sure not to bend your ear.
- When brushing or styling your hair, make sure not to bend or hit your ear
- Wear the headband over your ears day and night for one week, and then just at night for an additional week.
- Extreme physical activity should be avoided. You may resume light walking after three weeks of surgery.
- Avoid Swimming until 4-6 weeks after surgery.
- Don’t panic if the ears show some swelling, this usually resolves within 2 weeks.
- Take only medications prescribed by your doctor.
Dr. Manoj Gupta is the best ENT doctor in Varanasi.